Sprint announced it is delivering more value to its customers by being the first carrier to launch an AOL Instant Messaging client for BlackBerry smartphones. The downloadable Java application provides a true AOL instant messaging experience on compatible BlackBerry handsets with fast message delivery and presence notification. Sprint customers using a compatible BlackBerry smartphone from Sprint or Nextel will be able to take advantage of the AOL Instant Messenger service. Compatible CDMA BlackBerry handsets include the 7130e, 8703e and 8830. Compatible iDEN BlackBerry handsets include the 7520 and 7100i.
Key features of this new functionality includes:
- Contact Management. Customers will be able to Manage AIM Buddy Lists right from their BlackBerry smartphone.
- Virtual real-time message exchange. Customers will experience virtual real-time message exchange.
- Immediate presence updates. Customer will see which buddies are online and ready to chat.
- Instant ‘New message’ notification. Customers can choose how to be notified when they receive a new message.
- Multitasking. Customers can keep the AIM service running in the background while they use the BlackBerry smartphone for other things.
- Emoticon support. Customers can express themselves with many of the AIM emoticons.
- Auto sign-in. Customers can save time by setting the AIM client to remember their username and password and sign them into the service automatically.
Sprint customers can leverage their existing BlackBerry data plans for the AOL Instant Messaging service. There is no additional cost to customers for the AIM client or instant messaging service.
Source: Sprint press release