- ability to send free text messages from Yahoo! Mail to mobile phone numbers in the US, Canada, India, and the Philippines,
- ability to send instant messages (IM) from Yahoo! Mail to members of the world’s largest combined IM community, including users of Yahoo! Messenger and Windows Live Messenger.
- Speed and performance – the new Yahoo! Mail is faster and more responsive than previous beta versions
- Search refinements – users can now refine their e-mail search results using advanced search options, including the ability to narrow results by sender, folder, date, attachment type and message status to pinpoint specific queries
- Shortcuts (U.S. only) – users are now able to right click on underlined dates, names and keywords within messages and take additional action, such as adding events directly to their Yahoo! Calendars, adding friends to their Contacts, immediately viewing a Yahoo! Map of an address, or performing a
- Web search on a keyword
- Color themes – users can personalize the look of their e-mail experience with six customizable color themes
Overall, the new Yahoo! Mail also offers a more dynamic Web 2.0 experience, including a sleek, easy-to-use interface with the speed and responsiveness of a desktop application. In addition to integrated text messaging and instant messaging, it features other enhanced capabilities such as tabbed navigation, a reading pane, an integrated calendar and an RSS reader.
A co-branded version of the new Yahoo! Mail will also be available in the fall to customers using the following broadband Internet services: AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet, Verizon Yahoo! and Rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet. The new Yahoo! Mail will be available this fall to Yahoo! Small Business Mail users as well.
Both the new Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Mail Classic are free services with unlimited e-mail storage, accessible from virtually any computer or mobile device connected to the Internet, without the need for a software download
The new version of Yahoo! Mail will begin rolling out to users worldwide today. Yahoo! will continue to offer Yahoo! Mail Classic, its award-winning, traditional Web mail interface, providing users a choice between experiences.
Source: Yahoo press release