SanDisk announced today the new Sansa View – a video MP3 player with a vast array of features and generous capacity, at an unbeatable price. The sleek-looking Sansa View marries the finest MP3 player attributes with full-motion video support (typically found in larger portable media players (PMPs)), a larger screen, long battery life and generous capacity-all in a thin, easy-to-carry package.
A significant step-up from the company’s award-winning Sansa e200 music player series, the slim Sansa View features music, photos, FM radio and audio books, plus easy video transferring capabilities and hefty memory capabilities of up to 24GB (by using an optional 8GB microSD/microSDHC card).
SanDisk’s Sansa View video player innovates beyond the typical video loading procedure, making it easy for consumers to transfer videos natively using widely available software. Most popular formats are supported via embedded player functionality (H.264, WMV and MPEG4), or via a one-time software download of the Sansa Media Converter which quickly transcodes numerous video files, including DivX.
A MP3 player at its core, the Sansa View device comes equipped with all the soup-to-nuts features typically found in the Sansa audio line. The smooth, backlit scroll wheel and vibrant 2.4″ widescreen display make it easy to navigate to: a music library; video collection; digital photos; digital FM radio with 20 pre-sets; an integrated microphone and voice recording, and Audible audiobooks.
The Sansa View player will come in two capacities-8GB and 16GB-and is expected to be available from retailers in the U.S. in early fall with other regions to follow shortly thereafter.
- Sansa View (8GB)- $149.99, 2,000 songs, 12 two-hour movies, 4000 JPEG photos
- Sansa View (16GB)- $199.99, 4,000 songs, 24 two-hour movies, 8000 JPEG photos
The Sansa View was first announced last January at CES. In June, SanDisk decided to re-scope the product to develop a player with new features and functionality that best suit current consumer interests.
SANSA VIEW FEATURES
- Supports most audio formats, including MP3, protected and unprotected WMA, WAV, DRM-free MP3 downloads; gapless playback for smoother music transition
- supports many music download and subscription services, including Rhapsody To Go, Napster, eMusic and others
- Digital FM radio with 20 pre-sets
- Audible audiobook support
- Video compatibility with MPEG4, WMV, H.264, DivX
- Smooth video playback at 30 frames per second (fps)
- Photo JPEG viewing capabilities – up to 16 megapixel
- Slim, thin and lightweight design for easy portability – 8.8mm at the slimmest part
- Vibrant, 2.4″ TFT color screen with 320×240 resolution
- Rechargeable, long-lasting lithium polymer battery for 35 hours of audio4 and seven video5
- Voice recorder with built-in microphone
- MicroSD/SDHCT expansion slot for additional memory capacity and content portability
The Sansa View is expected to be available in October, and will carry a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $199.99 MSRP for a 16GB flash-based player and $149.99 for the 8GB.
Source: SanDisk press release