Notices

Ebooks Talk about those wonderful ebooks here !

Old 12-15-05, 10:32 AM   #1
Aximsite Minor League

which ebook reader can read .lit ebooks?

I am looking for best suggestions on which ebook reader to get for .lit extension formats. I read that the microsoft one requires some activation thingy which sounds painful. Any other readers out there that can do the job with the microsoft b.s.

D
DarkyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsor Ads
Old 12-15-05, 10:40 AM   #2
Aximsite Minor League

the MS reader will read non-drm books just fine in the .lit format. It's the DRM'ed books that are pain in the butt.

I believe uBook and Mobireader will do .lit, but not sure if they have to be unprotected or not.
Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 11:04 AM   #3
Aximsite Minor League

Originally Posted by Villain
the MS reader will read non-drm books just fine in the .lit format. It's the DRM'ed books that are pain in the butt.

I believe uBook and Mobireader will do .lit, but not sure if they have to be unprotected or not.
I haven't been able to read ".lit" books with anything but MS Reader. Neither uBook nor Mobireader can do it. It's not difficult to register MS Reader and it's free, but you only get six registrations between pda's and pc's, etc., so don't waste them.

If anyone knows how to get extra registrations, I'd be glad to hear it. I've tried the MS Reader link to get more but it always says "no".
mramay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 01:59 PM   #4
Aximsite Rookie

I'd like to recommend uBook Reader

http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_main.html
dracflamloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 04:23 PM   #5
wmrawls

Activating MS Reader is usually not an issue: I submitted this a while back and it is pinned in the E-book forum:
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=38104
YOu can easily save your activations. Personaly I have had either an x-5 or x-50V for 3+ years and have had to reactivate only a couple of times so I don't think its really an issue.
Old 12-15-05, 05:39 PM   #6
xdalaw

Tiny ebook reader reads non-drm'd .lit books. It's not free, but it's another option.
http://www.goldencrater.com/software/phone/features.htm
Old 12-15-05, 09:13 PM   #7
Aximsite Minor League

Originally Posted by xdalaw
Tiny ebook reader reads non-drm'd .lit books. It's not free, but it's another option.
http://www.goldencrater.com/software/phone/features.htm
Fictionwise offer a free reader that they call the "Fictionwise Reader" (snappy name, huh?) that is basically a rebranded Tiny eBook Reader. As a Tiny eBook Reader clone, it reads unencrypted .lit books ...
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 01:30 PM   #8
Leifr

Originally Posted by Moe The Cat
Fictionwise offer a free reader that they call the "Fictionwise Reader" (snappy name, huh?) that is basically a rebranded Tiny eBook Reader. As a Tiny eBook Reader clone, it reads unencrypted .lit books ...
Sweet! I've got over 400 ebooks in .lit format and I can't install MSReader on my work computer because I don't have admin rights, but I certainly can install this. How am I going to get any work done now?
Old 12-18-05, 11:31 PM   #9
Aximsite Rookie

As I understand it, the .LIT format is based upon an open text based format. There are a nubmer of utilities that can convert the .LIT files to HTML for easy reading. You can then re-convert the HTML into another format of your choice. All of my previous books were in .LIT when I was using MS Reader. Once I switched to MobiPocket, I converted all of my old ebooks (including the DRM'ed ones) to the MobiPocket format. I can't remember which one I used but if you search the Internet for "LIT converter" (in quotes) you should be able to find a few that should work should you want to do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HumblePie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, ebooks, lit, read, reader

Sponsor Ads