Notices

PDA/AXIM Newbies Don't be afraid to ask a question.

Old 04-17-08, 04:54 AM   #1
Aximsite Prospect

What is the best ROM for Dell Axim x51v ??

Hi, I've just bought a dell axim x51v, and I wan't to upgrade its ROM, but there are too many... Football, Lenysch, Maku... I don't care about warranty... please help me to choose the best one... Thanks.

Sorry for my english.... SE HABLA ESPAÑOL !
santiago_ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsor Ads
Old 04-17-08, 08:16 AM   #2
Aximsite Rookie

Device: HTC Vox WM6.1 v1.1
for me you have to choose between lennysh or makku since they are the newest wm6.1 (football is only wm6) personnaly i use lennysh beta 2.1 which is marvelous but makku rom are as good as lennysh
carbonyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 10:06 AM   #3
Aximsite Minor League

Device: Nokia 6300
Stay away from Makuu's WM6.1 ROM, instead go with the LennySh rom. Makuu is dabbling in dangerous lands now, and I believe he will end up creating unstable and ultimately dangerous ROMs for the X51v if he continues along the lines he's going down now.

Lenny's ROMs are good though :)
DJUnreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 10:23 AM   #4
Aximsite Minor League

Originally Posted by DJUnreal View Post
Stay away from Makuu's WM6.1 ROM, instead go with the LennySh rom. Makuu is dabbling in dangerous lands now, and I believe he will end up creating unstable and ultimately dangerous ROMs for the X51v if he continues along the lines he's going down now.

Lenny's ROMs are good though :)
Can you please elaborate?
saint-francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 10:57 AM   #5
Aximsite Minor League

Yes.

Makuu has started experimenting with WM6 Professional on the Axim. What's wrong with that, I hear you ask?

The answer is simple. WM6 has 3 versions. One of which I'm not fussed about and can't even remember the name of, which was designed for non-touch-screen devices, Classic, designed for touch screen NON PHONE devices, and professional, which is designed for touch screen SMARTPHONES.

Now the only changes are the modules that load on boot, in other words, if you strip out the phone modules you end up with classic version, and if you strip out the touchscreen modules you end up with the other version. However, these modules relate to talking to hardware.

As a result, if you start to fire up Professional edition (the smartphone one), it will try to 'call' the phone hardware to talk to it in order to begin initialisation properly. Still don't see a problem?

If you try to load drivers for hardware that doesn't exist, you're gonna cause problems. The drivers will keep seeking the hardware in order to find it to work properly. They'll use memory and cpu runtime to do so, and will ultimately cause crashes etc.

Still don't see a problem? Then be my guest and go experiment, I think you'll see hugely increased lengths of time for booting etc.

Just my 2p's worth.
Old 04-17-08, 02:01 PM   #6
Aximsite Rookie

mmmh I think that lennySh has done the same things: start for a professional wm6.1 rom.
maybe you're right for the driver thing.
Old 04-17-08, 02:47 PM   #7
Aximsite Minor League

Aye, Lenny started from a professional ROM. But the first thing he did was strip out the phone modules, which instantly turns it classic. Makuu is keeping the phone modules in so that it keeps the 'professional' label. This is the difference, and therefore the problem.
Old 04-17-08, 03:36 PM   #8
Aximsite Prospect

Thanks !!

Hey guys! I really appreciate your help, I just have two days with my axim and I'm a little confuse with somethings. I was a PALM user for a very long time, but I decided to change my pda, so I started to discover a "new world".
My dell axim came with A 01 ROM, but I will change it very soon, now I'm waiting for my SD card.

Do you have any tutorial about the "upgrade" ?
Old 04-17-08, 06:34 PM   #9
Aximsite Minor League

Check the main X50/51 thread. There's a long thread about it there.
Old 04-17-08, 08:57 PM   #10
paulcb

Well, I may get flamed but my X51v runs perfect with the A12 WM5 ROM. It never locks up and runs everything I throw at it... WA3, SPB PP, IG3, Opera, NF, MDigger, Avantgo, E-Sword, TCMP, SPB Backup, RoboForm, Tweaks2k2, SKTools, blah, blah, blah. I use it everyday and it runs everything perfectly and plenty fast enough. It seems to handle memory well too - just for fun I opened up 18 programs until I ran out of memory. It syncs everytime with work and home computers and WiFi and BT connect like you would expect. It's probably the most stable computer I've had since my 386 with Dos 6.22.

The usual disclaimers... YMMV and my .02

Last edited by paulcb; 04-17-08 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 02:40 AM   #11
Aximsite Rookie

Originally Posted by DJUnreal View Post
Aye, Lenny started from a professional ROM. But the first thing he did was strip out the phone modules, which instantly turns it classic. Makuu is keeping the phone modules in so that it keeps the 'professional' label. This is the difference, and therefore the problem.
Haa ok i see. Now I understand! I definitively keep lennySh's ROM! Thanks for the info
Old 04-19-08, 07:25 AM   #12
Aximsite Prospect

Question Help me again !

Hi, I've been reading about x51v ROMS, and I noticed that there is an official ROM A12 (From dell company), so I don't know what to do, I have two options: Windows mobile 6.1 LennySh Edition or Windows mobile 5 A12 ????
Which is the best one???? Please tell me advantages and disadvantages of each one... Thanks...
Old 04-30-08, 04:01 AM   #13
Aximsite Rookie

Device: 6700, 6800, 6850
Carrier: Alltel
Originally Posted by santiago_ec View Post
Hi, I've been reading about x51v ROMS, and I noticed that there is an official ROM A12 (From dell company), so I don't know what to do, I have two options: Windows mobile 6.1 LennySh Edition or Windows mobile 5 A12 ????
Which is the best one???? Please tell me advantages and disadvantages of each one... Thanks...
My ROM is definetly better than the stock Windows Mobile 5. Windows Mobile 6.1 runs way better/faster.

Chat Rooms:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or IRC Client

:
or IRC Client
lennysh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lennysh For This Useful Post:
m.baurmann (07-21-08)
Old 04-30-08, 04:38 AM   #14
Aximsite Prospect

Makku's ROM A6

I have tried Lennyh latest ROM few day back on X51V and it gives me problem in WIFI connectivity . The WPA personal key is not accepted at all.

I visited the Makku's download page ([X51V] ROM WM6.1 EN classic, private edition - xda-developers)

it shows WM6 classic contrary to the claims made here that it is Professional edition and hence could be problematic. Why not test it before coming to Conclusions?
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 05:32 AM   #15
Aximsite Prospect

Lennyh ROM gives me problem with wifi. Of course which ROM does not? But I am going to try Makku today. If it works with wifi then Lennyh is out thanks
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axim, dell, rom, x51v

Sponsor Ads