Notices

Water Fountain General Chit/Chat

Old 08-03-08, 10:38 AM   #1
Blogger

Device: BB 9700,

Awards Showcase
Aximsite Gold Referrer Aximsite Contest Winner Aximsite Contest Winner Aximsite Veteran Staff Reviewer Medal Moderator Medal Aximsite Bronze Reviews Top Notch MyPDA 
Total Awards: 8

Sleep Firefox is already running and you cannot close it from taskbar

Has anyone seen this error?

According to below topic at mozilla, is is pretty common, and it is nearly impossible to fix. There must be something common among these people who responded.

There has been a few other solutions on mozilla database, but they did not work.

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view...entStyle_plain
hyedipin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsor Ads
Old 08-03-08, 11:09 AM   #2
Blogger

Awards Showcase
News Editor Medal Aximsite Veteran Staff Reviewer Medal Aximsite Active Bronze Member Aximsite Bronze Referrer Aximsite Gold Reviews 
Total Awards: 6

In fact I did just two days ago .... not sure why? Now that I know it is an issue, I'm going to try to look more into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jack Cook
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jack Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 06:11 PM   #3
Blogger

Awards Showcase
Aximsite Gold Referrer Aximsite Contest Winner Aximsite Contest Winner Aximsite Veteran Staff Reviewer Medal Moderator Medal Aximsite Bronze Reviews Top Notch MyPDA 

Jack, do you use norton? The only thing I can guess is Norton 2007 on Vista.
I just uninstalled 3.0 and went back to 2.0, and the problem is still there. I just don't get the above error, but it still will not start. After I close FF once, It just stays in taskbar and there is no way to close it for some reason.

How about UAC? Do you have it on or off? Could that be an issue? I recently turned it off.

My couisin is also running vista, and he never had this issue.
Old 08-03-08, 08:31 PM   #4
Aximsite Elite

Device: windows mobile phone
Carrier: AT&T

Awards Showcase
Aximsite Active Silver Member Top Notch MyPDA Aximsite Active Bronze Member Member of the Month Moderator Medal 
Total Awards: 5

Can't you close it by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Windows Task Manager and then ending the process there?

BTW, I think this latest version of Firefox is really really slow.

|
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 08:52 PM   #5
Aximsite All Star

Device: Moto V3R
Carrier: AT&T
I've seen the message with both 2.x and 3.0. The only way I've been able to solve it is a reboot (WinXP Pro/SP2).
Old 08-03-08, 09:28 PM   #6
Blogger

Awards Showcase

Julie, no. I tried doing that as first thing, and task manager does not allow me to close it either. Firefox locks itself so bad that even task manager cannot close it.

mks, exactly the same thing with me. Sometimes it doesn't even let me shut down..
Old 08-03-08, 09:51 PM   #7
buckyg

I've had this a couple of times on version 3. One time I was able to bring up the task manager and kill it. Not always, though.

Yeah, I kept hearing how fast v3 is supposed to be, but it seems slower to me, too!
Old 08-04-08, 09:36 AM   #8
Aximsite Elite

Device: Motorola Droid 3
Carrier: Verizon

Awards Showcase
Aximsite Active Silver Member Aximsite Active Bronze Member 
Total Awards: 2

Just bring up CTRL ALT DEL, find firefox.exe under processes and end it. That fixes the problem for me everytime.
2GB SD Card (Music)

Best Pocket PC Freeware Sites:

spunker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 09:58 AM   #9
Blogger

Awards Showcase

spunker, that doesn't work for me. There is no way of closing it.

I had been using Pitaschio, which may have been the source, which I just disabled, and now I am testing Firefox 2.0 with it. If I have no problems after a while, I will go back to 3.0 and see if it still does it.
Old 08-05-08, 07:47 AM   #10
Aximsite Elite

Device: Motorola Droid 3
Carrier: Verizon

Awards Showcase
Aximsite Active Silver Member Aximsite Active Bronze Member 
Total Awards: 2

Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post
spunker, that doesn't work for me. There is no way of closing it.

I had been using Pitaschio, which may have been the source, which I just disabled, and now I am testing Firefox 2.0 with it. If I have no problems after a while, I will go back to 3.0 and see if it still does it.
Oh, are you guys talking about firefox 3.0? Im still using 2.0.0.16.
2GB SD Card (Music)

Best Pocket PC Freeware Sites:

spunker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 09:19 AM   #11
Blogger

Awards Showcase

Yes, but further testing revealed that whatever it is that's causing this issue persists with 2.0.0.16 as well (which I am using after uninstalling 3.0.1)
In the meantime, yesterday I updated Java, just to see if it will make any difference.

What I had was Version 6 Update 5, and now it is Version 6 Update 7
I am testing it once again today.

Tags
close, firefox, running, taskbar

Sponsor Ads