Notices

WiFi Talk As the title states, WIFI !!!

Old 08-06-06, 03:45 AM   #1
Aximsite Prospect

Aximsitewifiicon Axim X51v failed to renew IP from wireless

I can't figure it out... Here is what I have:
Axim X51v A12.0001 with Odyssey client 4.02.0.2099
LinkSys WRT54G ver 2.0 router with Wi-Fi-box.net firmware ver. 2.02.2.6

WEP enabled (have to use WEP as still have an old card that does not support WPA)
MAC filter enabled
SSID broadcast disabled
using 128-bit key

Here is the scenario:
1. I configured all the security except MAC filtering. - Everything worked fine...
2. Soft reset Axim - works fine... (just takes too long to authenticate...)
3. Configure MAC filtering. - still works
4. Soft reset Axim... Here is where the problems start.
It seems to authenticate fine. I can see it in the list of active clients, The green bars cannot be greener ;)...
However when I try to access Internet I get message about settings. Also PocketDHCP shows that it can't renew IP (0.0.0.0)

I even checked how many DHCP users allowed ... (50)...

HELP!!!
mifutka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsor Ads
Old 08-06-06, 09:32 AM   #2
DeeCee52

Originally Posted by mifutka

I can't figure it out... Here is what I have:
Axim X51v A12.0001 with Odyssey client 4.02.0.2099
LinkSys WRT54G ver 2.0 router with Wi-Fi-box.net firmware ver. 2.02.2.6

WEP enabled (have to use WEP as still have an old card that does not support WPA)
MAC filter enabled
SSID broadcast disabled
using 128-bit key

Here is the scenario:
1. I configured all the security except MAC filtering. - Everything worked fine...
2. Soft reset Axim - works fine... (just takes too long to authenticate...)
3. Configure MAC filtering. - still works
4. Soft reset Axim... Here is where the problems start.
It seems to authenticate fine. I can see it in the list of active clients, The green bars cannot be greener ;)...
However when I try to access Internet I get message about settings. Also PocketDHCP shows that it can't renew IP (0.0.0.0)

I even checked how many DHCP users allowed ... (50)...

HELP!!!

See if you can assign an IP address to the axim. If this works, save this configuration as your home connection and use that when you connect at this location. even if the other addresses as assign by the server, the server can work around this one that is fixed.
Old 08-06-06, 03:25 PM   #3
Aximsite Prospect

Sorry I am a new to PPC world... How do I set IP manually? I thought about it too... I just don't know how to change it.
Thanks.
Old 08-06-06, 04:07 PM   #4
DeeCee52

Sorry I am a new to PPC world... How do I set IP manually? I thought about it too... I just don't know how to change it.
Thanks.

Today>Settings>Connections>WLan On the first page of the wlan utility,on bottom half of the page, tap settings. I generallysets everything up to log into work, which gets me access to the LAN as well the internet. Pick the wireless adapter. The first page gives you the option of selecting a specific ip address. This is from the x51v, but my recollection is it works the same way in wm2003 as well just in case others are having the same problem.

Last edited by DeeCee52; 08-06-06 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 02:38 AM   #5
Aximsite Prospect

Aren't those only if you use Dell WLAN client? I am using Odyssey due to security...
In any case that didn't help. I also noticed that DNS settings getting configured successfully however IP stays as 0.0.0.0
Old 08-07-06, 10:25 AM   #6
DeeCee52

Aren't those only if you use Dell WLAN client? I am using Odyssey due to security...
In any case that didn't help. I also noticed that DNS settings getting configured successfully however IP stays as 0.0.0.0
No that will set the ip address, since wlan has to be turned on in order for any of the other wifi helpers to work.

First of all, I assume that you have done a soft reset. you might also try to clear your cache. In the past I have recommended using a program such as memmaid or sktools to clean out old registry entries. The latest versions of these programs seem to be a bit too agreesive in their cleaning. They have trials, but be very careful. certainly back up before you try them.

If the soft reset and cache clearing doesn't help. You may have to troubleshoot by seeing if you can get an IP without all the security measures in place. See if you can get an ip with everything wide open. Then gradually add security back in. The last measure to add back in would be the encryption.
Old 08-07-06, 07:14 PM   #7
Aximsite Hall of Fame

You said you are just using WEP. If so, there's no need for Odyssey as the Dell WLAN handles WEP with no problem.

you really only need Odyssey if you are using corporate level security.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ikehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 10:42 PM   #8
DeeCee52

Have you entered the mac id of the axim?
Old 08-10-06, 12:20 AM   #9
Aximsite Prospect

SOVED!Axim X51v failed to renew IP from wireless

EUREKA!!!
I think I figured it out.
Here's the deal:
Remember those 13 alphanumeric or 26 Hexadecimal characters that you have to enter as WEP key? Well originally I entered 26 hexadecimal and some of those characters had translated to nonprintable characters. Apparently Odyssey client has some bug that doesn't allow to use such keys.
Another thing, that I also changed was - to set a new key as default transmitted key on the router.
I tested it for couple of days now and it seemed to work.

Tags
axim, failed, renew, wireless, x51v

Sponsor Ads