Notices

Windows Mobile 5 No more Magneto!

Old 02-19-07, 05:41 PM   #1
Aximsite Rookie

Deleting cemail.vol

Hi,

I have recently discovered that my cemail.vol file went crazy: the outlook folders became misaligned.
Without much details of WHAT happened, I needed to delete cemail.vol.

It is not a simple thing since the file is constantly locked by some process (no idea which - I tried killing most of them via MemMaid to no success).

Anyway, to cut the long story short, one way to do it is to use...

Mortscript (what else!)

Create a simple script:

Delete "\cemail.vol"

Place a shortcut to this script to a \Windows\Startup folder and reset: you will have a brand new cemail.vol file when everything boots up (at least I did).

Don't forget to delete the shortcut, or you'll have a brand new cemail.vol every time you boot.

Hope this helps!
arkhipenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsor Ads
Old 02-19-07, 05:47 PM   #2
Aximsite All Star

Actually, I'd like the details of what happened. I'm not sure that your case is a typical scenario.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_...ne_taylor.html
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/3g.html
DotanCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 06:45 PM   #3
Aximsite All Star

Device: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Vodafone UK
I've found that in order to delete the files like cemail.vol and pim.vol you can move them to the \temp directory then soft reset. It will create a new pim.vol or whatever and you will be able to delete the old file from \temp.

I too am interested in what was wrong with your cemail.vol file, it sounds like an interesting problem...
pencil and paper: n.An archaic information storage and transmission device that works by depositing smears of graphite on bleached wood pulp. More recent developments in paper-based technology include improved ‘write-once’ update devices which use tiny rolling heads similar to mouse balls to deposit colored pigment.
Mokubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 12:34 AM   #4
Aximsite Rookie

Aximsitemobileicon What was wrong with cemail.vol

I am not sure what happened and when, but I noticed that Activesync folders in pocket outlook are misaligned. I.e. if you select Inbox from the top folder selection menu, you will end up inside Outbox, if you select Outbox, you are in Sent Items and so forth. So no matter what you select, you end up in the next folder down. It only happened it Activesync folders - new folders were created fine.

I first noticed this when playing with Intellisync and trying to sync up my Lotus Notes Inbox with Outlook Mobile - all inbox emails ended up in Outbox on WM. So I started digging...

I tried to move cemail.vol to \temp : did not work - something is always locking the file, even right after softreset.
arkhipenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 02:47 PM   #5
Aximsite Minor League

Carrier: Cingular

Awards Showcase
Aximsite Bronze Contributors Top Notch MyPDA Aximsite Bronze Referrer Red Cross 
Total Awards: 4

I've had this happen before but I didn't come up with a creative solution like that. Thanks arkhipenko!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

linuxcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 03:23 PM   #6
Aximsite All Star

Device: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Well, somehow I've gotten to the same point you did arkhipenko, though slightly different problem. Somehow my cemail.vol was corrupted and preventing me from synchronising with activesync. The ONLY way I could fix the situation was to install mortscript and do exactly as you said. The thing that seems strange to me is that the cemail.vol that was created after the soft reset was *bigger* that the one that was deleted (336K vs 182K)

Thanks for sharing this fix, saved me another hard reset.
pencil and paper: n.An archaic information storage and transmission device that works by depositing smears of graphite on bleached wood pulp. More recent developments in paper-based technology include improved ‘write-once’ update devices which use tiny rolling heads similar to mouse balls to deposit colored pigment.
Mokubai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cemailvol, deleting

Sponsor Ads