Notices

X50 / X51 Forums Talk about anything related to the X50 / X51 series.

Old 01-05-07, 06:58 AM   #1
Aximsite Rookie

How long your 1100mAh battery will last?

I've a X51 with standard 1100mAh. I notice that the battery life is so poor that it will only last me like couple of hours, maybe 3 or 4 max. Just wanna know whether is this normal?

Senario 1: Battery is fully charged, 100% and now I open and play some of my favorite game such as Skyforce. For like 10-15 mins of playing, the battery percentage drop tremendously, I would say like maybe 10%.

Senario 2: Battery is fully charged,100%. I switch on my BT and run Garmin Que + GPSgate for the GPS navigation, for about 30 mins of journey, my battery life will drop for more than 30% - 40 %. I estimated if I continue to use, it may last me for like 2 hours to 2.5 hours top.

Is there anyway that I can do a diagnostic or test on my battery to make sure it works like normal and the poor battery life is normal for X51?

Note: I have 2 pcs of 1100mAh battery and both of them are new. 2 mths old.
MisterNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsor Ads
Old 01-05-07, 07:33 AM   #2
Aximsite Major League

This sounds normal to me, My 1100mah battery doest last that long!

Few things you can do to help it last a bit longer though.

1. Set the processor to power saving - You will notice some performance problems running some apps though but for general surfing etc its fine.

2. Put the screen brightness on the lowest but one setting. I find that this is bright enough to see and saves battery.

3. Get a car cradle which powers your Ax whilst using GPS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- WM5 Phone Edition Site NOW OPEN

MY X50V RUNNING WM5 A02 VIDEO - WORKS PERFECTLY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jamin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 07:44 AM   #3
Aximsite Minor League

The power-hungry operations do drain the battery quickly.

To be fair, when I read the books, I was initially surprised to find that battery lasted a few hours after hitting the 25% point. With WM5, you don't have to worry about losing all your data if battery gets fully discharged.

That said, a 2200 mAh battery lasts a long time (not the double of 1100 mAh, though, but more than 50%) and it doesn't cost much for generic.
Amamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 08:08 AM   #4
Aximsite Rookie

thanks jamin100 and Amamba, just wanna make sure as it looks like the percentage of the battery drop significantly. I just wanna make sure I didn't get a bad battery. Maybe i shall consider to get a 2200mAh batt but my Krusell case won't fit! :(. Anyway, it seems like I will need to bring my spare 1100mAh battery along.

Yes, today I've just received my in car inverter, 120W with a USB power port. Should be more than enough to charge my X51 & my Holux GPSr while using the GPS on the go.
MisterNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 10:00 AM   #5
Aximsite Major League

the 1100 doesnt last long. Even playing music with LCD off, my X51v can do maybe 6-8hrs. I'm thinking of getting an external power source something like PSP accesories. Anyone knows PSP extended batteries can work with axims?
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 11:30 AM   #6
Aximsite Rookie

Hi all,

Bit of a "me too" case. I use a 1100mAh battery and it will play music for about 2 and a half hours using a set of bluetooth headphones (HT820's, MS BT stack) before hitting around 40%. Basically needs to be charged each night so I can survive my commute to work and back!

Also, I've read on these forums its not best to let the battery run below 30% as it could cause long term damage to the battery. Definately avoid running it empty.

As for PSP accessories, I've used a car charger that gives out 5V (2A max) fine with the axim, using the connector supplied with the axim. Don't see why extended batteries won't work, so long as they give out 5V. There is also talk on the forums about using AA batteries and a voltage regulator for charging/powering the axim. Not a bad idea if you're hiking or away from a power source.

B
beavis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 08:06 PM   #7
keviny

Using the bluetooth and wireless radios use a lot of battery power. I get about 3-4 hours of time out of my standard 1100 battery listening to mp3s with the screen off. I get about 2.5 to 3 hours watching movies. But as soon as I turn on the bluetooth or wireless radio, my x51mid will last about 1.5 hours for wireless and 2 hours for bluetooth. I don't use either much without my charger cable though anyway.

As far as running the battery below 30%, running mine down below 30% is almost a daily occurance for about the past 8 months. I have also run mine all the way down to the point it shuts down on several occations with no adverse affects yet.

Last edited by keviny; 01-06-07 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 02:51 AM   #8
Aximsite Prospect

In terms of a battery extender I bought one from ebay which holds 4 AA batteries and has a USB fitting. I connect an axim sync'n'charge usb cable to this and then to the axim and it works fine. Haven't used it too much but it works. Probably just as easy to buy a couple of spare batteries though.....
russpickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 10:00 AM   #9
Aximsite Rookie

Get a 2nd 1100 battery

I figured Dell was trying to tell me something when they included a 2nd 1100 battery in the package I bought when x50v was phasing out. I knew for sure they were telling me something when I received the pda and found the convenient 'spare' battery charger in the back of the sync cradle!

Any time I am going to be in an extended use situation I carry the spare. Changing batteries is a matter of 15-20 seconds. I had to get a replacement PDA when the battery latch broke. The replacement has been OK except for an occasional false 'Battery latch opened' message to which I answer OK and things continue.

Brad M
miterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 11:27 AM   #10
Aximsite Minor League

It greatly depends on what I'm doing, but I get roughly 2 to 4 hours use off the 1100mah battery for normal use.

I have tried a few things to save power:
* Turn backlight down as far as possible without it turning off completely (saves a lot of power!).
* Run the CPU in power-saving mode when possible. If I do this with GPS (+ bluetooth on and in constant use for receiver), I can get over 3 hours use from the battery.
* Shut down background programs you're not using any more (from Settings -> Memory -> Running Programs or a 3rd party task manager).
* Turn off Wifi/Bluetooth when not being used.

It is true that you should avoid running down the battery completely but I believe the Axim is smart enough to switch off before you get to 0%. Lithium-ion batteries don't need "full cycling" either so apparently it's best to just recharge when convenient (e.g. daily) instead of waiting until the battery runs out. They don't suffer memory effect like older Ni-Cad (and to some extent Ni-mh) batteries do.
rohanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 12:42 PM   #11
Aximsite Prospect

I have had trouble connecting to certain access points when using 'Auto' mode for Wifi power saving. How does the WiFi power saving scheme affect battery life, and are there ways to extend battery life while using WiFi without the power saving? For example, can I assume that disabling Wifi means that there is no Wifi drain even if powersaving is disabled?

Thanks.

- Jonathan

Originally Posted by rohanch
It greatly depends on what I'm doing, but I get roughly 2 to 4 hours use off the 1100mah battery for normal use.

I have tried a few things to save power:
* Turn backlight down as far as possible without it turning off completely (saves a lot of power!).
* Run the CPU in power-saving mode when possible. If I do this with GPS (+ bluetooth on and in constant use for receiver), I can get over 3 hours use from the battery.
* Shut down background programs you're not using any more (from Settings -> Memory -> Running Programs or a 3rd party task manager).
* Turn off Wifi/Bluetooth when not being used.

It is true that you should avoid running down the battery completely but I believe the Axim is smart enough to switch off before you get to 0%. Lithium-ion batteries don't need "full cycling" either so apparently it's best to just recharge when convenient (e.g. daily) instead of waiting until the battery runs out. They don't suffer memory effect like older Ni-Cad (and to some extent Ni-mh) batteries do.

Last edited by jafrank88; 01-09-07 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Grammar/Clarification
jafrank88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 01:00 PM   #12
Aximsite Rookie

Think the Auto mode reduces transmitting power if the signal is strong, thus saving battery power. If the signal is low, it has to increase the power to maintain connection, but disabling the power save function will transmit at full power all the time.

If WiFi is turned off, then the driver is unloaded and the radio switched off, so yes, Axim not transmitting anything, saving battery power. I only use Wifi for brief periods at home or wondering around work, so have the power saving disabled as its only on for a few minutes per day. If it was on longer, I'd enable power saving to increase battery life a bit.

B
beavis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 01:06 PM   #13
Aximsite Minor League

i'd probably get about 7-8 hours of TCPMP+MP3+screen_off
get about 3-4 hours of video watching, depending on loudness :D

one interesting thing is that the %Battery left is sometimes not reliable, i can probably squeeze more out of the last 10% of the battery left than the 100->90% battery.
ihateacid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1100mah, battery, long

Sponsor Ads